I’m a weiner!
I mean, whiner (that’s actually true).
Winer (that’s actually really true)!
Actually, I am a winner!
I’d like to thank God and the Academy …. Oops … wrong speech. Wait a minute.
I’m thrilled, and very humbled, to reveal that both Annie who is Annie Off Leash! and Kelly aka Ahimsa Mama have so kindly presented me with the Versatile Blogger award, though I’ve been a little slipshod in acknowledging them for doing so. As a relative neophyte in this writing blosphere, I consider this a tremendous honour and I thank them for this tribute, and for their ongoing readership and support! You should visit their sites (not now, though, keep reading).
In accepting this Versatile Blogger Award, I am to thank those who bestowed the award upon me, to divulge to readers seven things that most people may not know about me, and to pass on the award to 15 other writers whose blogs I admire, and therefore so should you.
First off, now that I’ve posted a Dear 16-Year Old Me letter, some of my secrets have come out of the closet (the rest should probably stay out in there at least for a while), however, here are seven things most people don’t know about me:
- I am a closet BeeGees fan (it’s true; RIP dear Maurice).
- A friend of mine and I won a High School Spirit Week cake decorating contest by decorating banner and beanie -shaped cakes in our school colours. We got our picture in the local newspaper. I have loved cake decorating ever since and recently made this XBox Controller-shaped cake for my son. I swear my own birthday seems to come about eight times a year so I’ve been trying to forget them of late, but I know birthdays are uber-special to kids. And so for my kids, I want their birthdays to continue being special (until they tell me otherwise)!
- I almost drowned off the coast of Cape Hatteras when I was about 6 years old having been caught up in the treacherous undertow. My father saved my life. I still love Cape Hatteras but have since held a healthy respect for the power of the ocean.
- Of the 48 years I have slept on this earth, I have had my own bedroom for all but 45 of them. Seriously. Sister, roommates, boyfriends, husband, children … the string of those that have slept with me since I was born is shocking.
- I was diagnosed Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome a year into trying to conceive my first child. I should think that the fact that I now have 3 healthy children gives hope to those with PCOS who have been told they will never conceive, or will have great difficulty conceiving.
- I played the baritone and trombone in high school. To this day, I don’t know what the song is about, but think I could still probably pull off Chicago’s “25 or 6 to 4” if I was drunk enough needed to.
- I lived in New York City… twice. While at Cornell, I did a 6-month internship for a restaurant company in 1986 and lived at the 92nd Street Y. After graduating, I returned to New York City and worked for my former boss at her new company for 6 months before joining Hilton. It was the best of times; it was the worst of times … then the best of times once again! Scariest and most awesome city in the world!
So either these 7 things will endear me to you, or just explain a whole lot! Moving on …
Now for the fun part: I want to share 15 wonderful blogs that also deserve this award and ones that I hope you will soon visit. You might notice my list is female-dominated – that’s just the way it is. I also know many of them (most of them, in fact) already proudly display their Versatile Blogger award, but you will certainly not be disappointed in the time and attention you spare for their prose.
- Bella gives us One Sister’s Rant
- Brenda describes to us her Passionate Pursuits
- KG tells all in My Sweet Cheap Life and inspired me to dive into the writing world, blog first.
- Elizabeth is Yo Mama
- You can Find Catharsis with Laura
- Monica’s weaves a Tangled Web
- The The Gourmand Mom can cook and be a great mom
- June is holding The Neurosis File
- Meagan is Choosing to Grow
- Dani is The Girlfriend Mom
- The Mama Wolfe teaches us
- Amber shares with her Crappy Pictures
- Brianne reminds us of the Presence of Magic
- Tracy is Lost In Suburbia
- Read the writing with the Sarcasm Goddess
Thanks again, Annie and Kelly for this award, and to all of you for reading!